21/08/2026
SouthWest Victoria Alliance (SWVA) has welcomed today’s announcement that six-carriage VLocity trains will operate on some services on the Warrnambool line before the end of the year, describing it as a significant win for south west Victoria and a strong example of regional advocacy delivering results.
The announcement aligns directly with SWVA’s long-standing calls for increased rail capacity and improved public transport services across the region. Increasing capacity on the Warrnambool line was identified as a key priority in SWVA’s 2026 State Election Platform, while the Alliance has also consistently raised the issue with Government, V/Line and local MPs.
SWVA Chair Cr Dennis Heslin said the announcement was a welcome acknowledgement of the growing demand being experienced on regional rail services.
“This is exactly the kind of investment SWVA has been advocating for,” Cr Heslin said.
“Our communities have been telling us for some time that train services are becoming increasingly crowded, particularly during peak periods. Longer trains are a practical solution that will improve the experience for passengers and help support future growth across the south west.”
Cr Heslin noted that the issue had most recently been raised during SWVA’s Parliamentary delegation to Melbourne, where Alliance representatives discussed the need for platform extensions and six-carriage services directly with Government representatives.
“We were in Parliament House only last week making the case for increased rail capacity, so it’s particularly pleasing to see progress on this issue.”
“This outcome demonstrates the value of south west councils working together and speaking with one voice on the priorities that matter most to our communities.”
SWVA has consistently highlighted that improved public transport is critical to supporting access to employment, education, healthcare and economic opportunity across the region. In its State Election Platform, the Alliance calls for longer, more frequent, and more reliable train services, noting increasing passenger demand on the Warrnambool corridor.
Cr Heslin said today’s announcement was an important step forward, but further investment would still be needed to strengthen transport connections across south west Victoria.
“This is a very positive development, but it’s not the finish line.”
“We look forward to more details about the exact timing, noting that this announcement is for Friday and weekend services – we would want to see that extend across weekday services into the future.”
“We’ll continue to advocate for the transport investment our region needs, including improved rail, better bus connections and the infrastructure required to support growing communities.”
“South west Victoria deserves public transport services that match the needs and potential of our region. Today is a great example of what can be achieved when regional communities put forward a strong and united case.”